Zara


 The minute she sat beside me; I took a brief look at her. She was tall and dark with beautiful eyes. She reminded me of those tv stars who tried so hard to conceal their identity in public space. I felt the need to cooperate by not making her uncomfortable, so I pretended like she didn’t exist and kept glaring at my phone.  I had no messages.

A few seconds after, I hear her say something. I wasn’t sure if she was speaking to me so I waited again, just to be certain. “Can I see what you are reading?” she asked. Was the superstar talking to me? Yes she was. She asked to see the book in my hand. It was “Will” by Will Smith and little did I know that Will Smith was about to give me an invaluable gift.

No, she wasn’t a tv star (not yet), but our conversation spanned over 15 minutes or more. We talked about literature, lack of sleep in Lagos, lack of hustle in Abuja, work, more literature, career, church, money, relationships, investments, literature again and everything in-between.

She told me she will rather be here in her country, I had butterflies in my stomach. This was an acquaintance I wanted for life. We both loved it here and had mutual feelings for many literary works.

Shortly afterwards, she asked for my number, I took hers instead-with no hesitation. As the boarding call started for her flight, I knew I had to tell her a personal story. The story of a man who not too long ago asked for my details on a plane and never reached out. In that moment I did not realise why I told her but later on, the reason hit me. When one door shuts another opens.

Zara, people like you add so much colour to the world. Thank you for talking to me, thank you for being open with me, thank you for recommending “the son of the house” to me, and most importantly thank you for being Will Smith’s invaluable gift to me.

 

P.S-Her name is Zara. Zara with no prefix or suffix.

 

 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

23 for 23

City Girl in F.C.T