City Girl in F.C.T

I had coined this name for myself a couple of months back. Cheesy yet cool. I like to pride myself in being a Lagos girl. I will shout it to the rooftop and tell it on the mountains. The best place to be in the world is Lagos, Nigeria. Maybe, someday, I will write about that.

But today’s article is different. It's about my experience indeed as a Lagos Girl in the Federal Capital Territory of Nigeria.

The F.C.T isn’t new to me. I had been here numerous times either for school, work, leisure, or vacation but a couple of weeks ago, a new reality dawned on me when for the first time in my existence I booked a one-way trip to Abuja. My flight tickets were always for round trips.

Thankfully I had familiar faces to welcome me and friends’ kind enough to give me shelter and take me out to dinner. But after a couple of days, I started to ask myself questions and at a point I even shed a few tears.

I am a Nigerian through and through and I count it a privilege to live in a community with my fellow Nigerians irrespective of tribe and religion. A sentimental opportunity to experience a different kind of life and way of life.

So here is a list of what I have discovered so far a.k.a rude shock a.k.a culture shock.

1.      You are prettier and attractive when mostly covered up. Get rid of those bodycons.

2.      At 4pm, the city is closing for work with or without you.

3.  Majority of the people are willing to help you in every way. Be it feeding you nonstop, helping you run little errands or giving you presents.

4.    There is an Alhaji for everyone.

5.   You get to see DSS live and in action, they look like the mafia with snipers. Also make sure you go about with an identity card.

6.      We pray 5 times.

7.      Prince Ebeano Supermarket closes at 9pm. By 8.30 the store is virtually empty.

8.    There are actually hardworking politicians and public servants. People toiling day and night to make our country great.

9.      Everyone knows someone who knows someone who know someone.

10.  People will give you names without your permission.

11.  It is life-work balance here not the other way round.

12.  If a place is 30 minutes away, it is very far.

13.  You can’t finish a gossip in a car ride because in 7 minutes you are at your destination.

14.  Every Taj Bank has a giant Nigerian Flag.

15.  There is a place called Galaxy Backbone.

16.  Nearby kiosks are sometimes difficult to find.

17.  Fast-food price is not worth it.

18.  The days are short and the nights are also short.

19.  Appointments are a suggestion. There is no fixed time for anything.

20.  You have to figure things out quickly for yourself otherwise you get lost in other people’s pattern and way of life.

21.  God Is. (This one is a constant. Never a shock)

 

P.s- If you see me in Abuja call me Ngozi or Princess.





 

Comments

  1. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚The last part😜
    You actually look like Ngozi 🀩

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

23 for 23