I fell in love with a woman.


It was a bright and sunny Monday afternoon. I was particularly excited about this Monday because instead of the typical hustle and bustle of the city, the environment was calm with less people on the streets, which is how you know there is a public holiday in Lagos. A day to do laundry, watch Netflix or visit family and friends. Most importantly, it was also a day to visit Balogun Market where you can get everything and anything you need depending on how far you were willing to walk and who was leading you.

I had followed a couple of friends to buy some items. A handbag, travel suitcases and a 'Musibau' bag (which apparently is the one used to load foodstuff when you are leaving Nigeria for a long time).

We had trekked a long distance from Balogun street to Oluwole and round and round making twists and turns but I kept my pace and was even more excited because it had been so long since I walked in a crowded space where everyone walked like they were running late and you had others, tapping you, touching your arms and calling you “My color” as a means of drawing your attention to patronize them.

After a long walk, we finally got to a shed where there were stacks of suitcases, my friends didn’t like the options and decided to go elsewhere but I had been carried away talking to another trader who also sold boxes. “Funke” my friends called out name loudly and as I walked towards them, I heard someone else shout my name from a distance. I turned around and saw a beautiful lady in her mid-twenties with a hijab on. She waved at me and said “Aunty Funke, bi oruko yin se fine ni e se fine” I started blushing and waved at her too, thanking her as I giddily walked away with excitement.

We quickly got to another suitcase store and after about 15minutes of back and forth, a lady in a nearby store, who appeared to be in her early 40’s kindly offered me a seat. I immediately thanked her for the offer and asked her if she wanted Malta Guinness. After all, who would not want a chilled bottle of Malta Guinness on a hot Monday afternoon? Well, not her.

Apparently, she had never tasted it in her life because it seemed to taste like blood tonic, and she hated the taste of blood tonic. I was completely flabbergasted by the discovery that there was a human being in Nigeria who had never tasted Malta Guinness. I tried to persuade her and told her it was one of the best things in the world. She politely declined and said she was not a fan of soft drinks either, but she could finish all the tea in the house. I found that really interesting and we continued to laugh at people and things as my friends wrapped up their shopping.

As we got ready to leave, I smiled and waved a goodbye at my newfound acquaintance. She cheerfully waved at me too and yelled “Bye, I love you!!!!” I in turn chuckled and said “I love you too” a bit surprised hearing those words but later thinking to myself about the wonderful world we live in. Where strangers could quickly turn lovers and a simple conversation about Malta Guinness could make all the difference.

I realised there and then that true love is an act of service which can be found in a kind word or in a simple smile.

P.s- Some of the happiest people on earth are in Balogun market.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

23 for 23

City Girl in F.C.T