Common Person

 

Today I took the bus, yes the yellow buses with black lines in Lagos. I do that sometimes when my destination is close and I need real air. Soon after I alighted, I saw my young friend “Aunty long time” she said. My young friend who sold bananas and groundnut by the roadside. Our acquaintance began when my weight gain journey began. I made it a tradition to drink a banana shake every morning with peanut butter. I added a little weight and gained an amazing skin. I stopped that journey a long time ago when I lost my smoothie bottle. I still don’t have my weight gain goal but my skin grew better (this is not medical advice). I didn’t want bananas, but I gave her money. She was happy and grateful. I had gone past her when I remembered that I should have taken a picture of her and her goods, saving memories and sharing memories.

 

I jumped on a bike shortly after because it looked like it was going to rain. As we made our way past the street, I saw an elderly man with his Bible and shekere (beaded gourd). It looked like a thousand years since I had seen the instrument. Few seconds after, I saw two young girls who looked like sisters, their pink hijabs flowing through their shoulders as they cheerfully walked down the streets. This amazed me in a small but beautiful way. After some seconds, I saw a woman who backed her baby with an old school” shawl. The Yorubas call it “Oja”. I hadn’t seen that in a while as well. I had long passed all these people before it dawned on me that I should have captured those moments. For saving. For sharing. But it was too late. I however knew I had to stop when I heard a beautiful song. I got off the bike and walked abruptly towards the building where the music was playing. My Deezer was trying to catch the song, I was also trying to catch the lyrics. It was too late again. I did not get any result, but I recorded the end of the song. I hope I find it.

 

On my stroll back to my destination, I saw a woman backing a baby with loads on her head and this time around I took a shot. 

 

The lesson is obvious here; we should not lose each moment because they pass by so quickly.

 

P.s: I wrote this post in 5 minutes and the title of the song is “Common Person” by Burna Boy

 


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

23 for 23

City Girl in F.C.T